The objectives of the Institution of Diagnostic Engineers are:
• To promote the education and training of the professional Diagnostic Engineer whether resident in the United Kingdom or worldwide in all matters relating to diagnostic engineering and allied technologies.
• To establish and maintain contacts with persons and/or organisations concerned with the employment of diagnostic engineers and consultants.
• To develop and promote the science, practice and business of diagnostic engineering and allied technologies.
• To encourage and improve the technical, financial, business, managerial and general knowledge of all persons engaged in the practice of fault and failure diagnosis, condition monitoring, post-mortem examination, accident investigation and allied activities.
• To compile and classify information and particulars relating to the expert services rendered by subscribers to the Institution.
• To disseminate information and particulars relating to the expert services rendered by subscribers to the Institution.
• To stimulate efficiency in diagnosis and to elevate the position of the diagnostic engineer connected therewith in skilled practical employment.
• To foster intelligent appreciation of the facilities existing for the provision of education and research.
• To facilitate the exchange of information, ideas and practice by the publishing of such information as shall be of interest to diagnostic engineers.
• To render advice and aid in the exploitation of inventions and to make known their nature and merits.
• To assist in obtaining employment and to help engineers and others to find competent staff.
Definition: A ‘Diagnostic Engineer’ shall be any person capable of contribution to the art or science of determining the existence of a problem in a machine, plant, system or structure and/or appraising the cause(s) of a failure which may have taken place and/or assessing the condition or vulnerability of such machine, plant, system or structure either during use or while under development.
Interpretation: It is accepted that through a diagnostic capability or a special knowledge of a failure and deterioration modes, reliabilities and hazards a person will be able to contribute to a satisfactory assessment of the causes of a defect and able to contribute to the identification of remedial action to cure the defect and prevent failure.
Motivation: Employers are invited to recognise that persons who have joined have shown distinguished interest in developing and extending their technical skill.
Activities: The Institution shall arrange periodically:
– Local, national and international events of benefit to subscribers, either face to face or online
– Occasional publication of newsletters for subscribers
– Occasional publication of the Diagnostic Engineering magazine
The Institution of Diagnostic Engineers is a brand wholly owned by the Marine Surveying Academy Ltd